Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Hymn Story, on SWEET HOUR OF PRAYER, by William Petersen

According to one account, the author of this hymn was a blind preacher and curio-shop owner in Coleshill, England. He carved ornaments out of ivory or wood and sold them in his small store. He also wrote poetry. One day, when a local minister stopped at the store, William Walford, the blind shop owner, mentioned that he had composed a poem in his head. He asked the minister to write it down for him. Three years later, the minister visited the United States and gave the poem to a newspaper editor.

Unfortunately, no one knows what happened to William Walford of Coleshill. Researchers have found a William Walford, a minister in Homerton, England, who wrote a book on prayer that expresses many of the same thoughts that are given in this poem. That may be the true author.

But the identity of the hymnwriter is not as important as knowing a God who hears and answers prayer. In our hymns, prayer is frequently rhymed with care. This is appropriate, for whenever we are aware of care, we should be equally aware of prayer. God cares about us, and that motivates us to pray.

Scriptures: Deuteronomy 34:1; Matthew 7:11; Matthew 21:22; Ephesians 6:18
Themes: Prayer, Comfort, Hope 

Lyrics of the Hymn:
Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
That calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father’s throne
Make all my wants and wishes known;
In seasons of distress and grief,
My soul has often found relief,
And oft escaped the tempter’s snare,
By thy return, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
The joys I feel, the bliss I share
Of those whose anxious spirits burn
With strong desires for thy return!
With such I hasten to the place
Where God my Savior shows His face,
And gladly take my station there,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
Thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless;
And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His Word and trust His grace,
I’ll cast on Him my every care,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!
By WILLIAM W. WALFORD (1772–1850)

Reference for the Hymn:
Petersen, William. The Complete Book of Hymns (pp. 589-591). Tyndale House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment