Tuesday, March 27, 2018

A Story on the Hymn, “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross,” by William Petersen

Whenever Isaac Watts wanted a hymn to go with a sermon or a special service that he was leading, he would write one. He ended up writing more than six hundred hymns; today he is known as “The Father of English Hymnody.”

So when he needed a hymn for a Communion service one Sunday morning, he wrote “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.” Some have called it “the finest hymn in the English language.” The words vividly depict the scene at Calvary and the dying Savior. And the rich, grave tones of the music impress upon us the seriousness of Christ’s sacrificial death. What shall we offer to God in grateful return for his gracious gift? All that we are and have is but a small offering in return for such great love.

Scriptures: John 19:17-18; Galatians 6:14; Philippians 3:7-9
Themes: Cross, God’s Love, Dedication

Lyrics of the Hymn:
When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ, my God;
All the vain things that charm me most—
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See, from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down;
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small:
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
By ISAAC WATTS (1674–1748)

Reference for the Hymn:
Petersen, William. The Complete Book of Hymns (pp. 143-144). Tyndale House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment