Wednesday, June 6, 2018

A story of the hymn, “Be Thou My Vision,” by William Petersen!

Between A.D. 500 and 700 the Irish church was synonymous with missionary fervor. One historian commented that their missionary effort was “the one all-absorbing national thought and passion.” Irish missionaries labored from Scotland to Switzerland. One of these missionaries was Columba of County Donegal. His biographer wrote, “Certain spiritual songs, which had never been heard before, he was heard to sing.” He was known as one of the poets of the Irish church. 

“Be Thou My Vision” is anonymous, but it comes from the seventh or eighth century, shortly after the time of Columba of Donegal. It is filled with various titles for God. The word vision is used to indicate not only what we focus on but also what we strive for. As we strive for a goal, we gain a long-range perspective that helps us see today’s disappointments as trivial when compared to the heavenly vision. 

Scriptures: Psalm 16:2-11; Philippians 3:12; Colossians 3:1; Hebrews 12:1 
Themes: Jesus Christ, Vision, Presence of God 

Lyrics of the Hymn:
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Nought be all else to me, save that Thou art—
Thou my best thought, by day or by night, 
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light. 

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, and I Thy true son, 
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one. 

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always;
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my treasure Thou art. 

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven’s joys, O bright heaven’s Sun! 
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all. 

–IRISH HYMN (8TH CENTURY) Translated by Mary Elizabeth Byrne (1880–1931) Versified by Eleanor Henrietta Hull (1860–1935) WORDS USED BY PERMISSION OF THE EDITOR’S LITERARY ESTATE, AND CHATTO & WINDUS, LTD.

Reference for the Hymn:
Petersen, William. The Complete Book of Hymns (p. 557). Tyndale House Publishers. Kindle Edition.


No comments:

Post a Comment