Tuesday, September 11, 2018

A story of the hymn, “I Need Thee Every Hour,” by William Petersen


You don’t often think of hymns being written by a thirty-seven-year-old homemaker from Brooklyn, but that’s the story behind this hymn. Annie Hawks was busy with household chores when the words came to her. Later she recalled the day, “I was so filled with a sense of nearness to my Master that.... these words, ‘I need Thee every hour,’ were flashed into my mind.” It was a bright June day, so she sat by an open window, picked up her pencil, and wrote the entire hymn. She gave the words to her pastor, who wrote the music and the chorus.

When evangelist Dwight L. Moody discovered the simple hymn and began using it in his meetings, the hymn became famous, much to the amazement of Annie Hawks, a simple homemaker from Brooklyn.

Scriptures: Psalm 86:1-4; Psalm 109:22; Philippians 4:19
Themes: Prayer, Meditation

Lyrics of the Hymn:
I need Thee ev’ry hour,
Most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine
Can peace afford.

I need Thee, O I need Thee;
Ev’ry hour I need Thee!
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.

I need Thee ev’ry hour,
Stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their pow’r
When Thou art nigh.

I need Thee ev’ry hour,
In joy or pain;
Come quickly, and abide,
Or life is vain.

I need Thee ev’ry hour,
Teach me Thy will,
And Thy rich promises
In me fulfill.
By ANNIE SHERWOOD HAWKS (1835–1918) Robert Lowry (1826–1899)

Reference for the Hymn:
Petersen, William. The Complete Book of Hymns (pp. 178-179). Tyndale House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment