Tuesday, November 27, 2018

A story of the doxology, “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow,” by William Petersen


In 1673 Anglican bishop Thomas Ken wrote a prayer manual for the students at Winchester College. The book contained a hymn for the morning, one for evening, and one for midnight. Students were admonished to sing the morning and evening hymns devoutly—though apparently the midnight hymn was seldom used! All three hymns concluded with the same stanza, “Praise God, from whom all blessings flow”—the most-sung hymn lyrics in the English language. 
Thomas Ken knew well that it is difficult to end some days with a doxology of praise. Orphaned as a boy, he was adopted by a noted scholar and author. He was ordained in the Church of England and became chaplain to Princess Mary of Orange. But when he spoke against the immorality of the royal court, he soon found himself without a job. Later he was imprisoned in the Tower of London by James II for refusing to read the king’s Declaration of Indulgence. Still, it is said that Bishop Ken continued to use his morning and evening hymns in his personal devotions. 
Years earlier at Winchester College, he told the students, “It is a very good thing to tell of the loving-kindness of God in the morning and of his truth in the night season.” And it is a good habit for all of us.
Scriptures: Psalm 3:5; Psalm 22:27-28; Psalm 63:6-8 
Theme: Praise, Evening Hymn, Confession 

Lyrics of the Hymn:
All praise to Thee, my God, this night,
For all the blessings of the light!
Keep me, O keep me, King of kings,
Beneath Thine own almighty wings.

Forgive me, Lord, for Thy dear Son,
The ill that I this day have done,
That with the world, myself, and Thee,
I, when I sleep, at peace may be.

O may my soul on Thee repose,
And with sweet sleep mine eyelids close,
Sleep that may me more vigorous make
To serve my God when I awake.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
By THOMAS KEN (1637–1711)

Reference for the Hymn:
Petersen, William. The Complete Book of Hymns (p. 11). Tyndale House Publishers. Kindle Edition.














No comments:

Post a Comment