Tuesday, February 13, 2018

A Story on the Hymn, “I am Thine, O Lord,” by William Petersen

The composer of the music to this gospel song was known for many things other than gospel music. He was an inventor, a businessman who owned a large woodworking machinery plant in Cincinnati, and a respected civic leader. He was on his way to accumulating a fortune. But what William Doane enjoyed most was serving as Sunday school superintendent at his church and writing music. He became Fanny Crosby’s principal collaborator in writing gospel songs.

One evening as Fanny Crosby visited his home in Cincinnati, they were talking about what a wonderful thing it is to enjoy the nearness of God, to feel his presence, to delight in his love. Suddenly Fanny Crosby, the famous blind songwriter, stopped and said she had an idea for a song. Line by line, verse by verse, she dictated it to him. The next morning, Doane added the music.

Fanny Crosby found delight in writing gospel songs; William Doane found delight serving as a Christian businessman. But both agreed that there was no delight that equaled the delight of enjoying the presence of God.

Scriptures: Psalm 73:28; Romans 12:1-2; Hebrews 10:22; James 4:7-8
Themes: Consecration, Prayer

Lyrics of the Hymn:
I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
And it told Thy love to me;
But I long to rise in the arms of faith,
And be closer drawn to Thee.

Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,
To the cross where Thou hast died;
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,
To Thy precious, bleeding side. (Chorus)

Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord,
By the pow’r of grace divine;
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope,
And my will be lost in Thine.

O, the pure delight of a single hour
That before Thy throne I spend,
When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God,
I commune as friend with friend!

There are depths of love that I cannot know,
Till I cross the narrow sea;
There are heights of joy that I may not reach
Till I rest in peace with Thee.
By FANNY JANE CROSBY (1820–1915)

Reference for the Hymn:
Petersen, William. The Complete Book of Hymns (pp. 337-338). Tyndale House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment